Nuffnang

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Misunderstood Rich Man's Reply to the Poor Man



Dear Poor Man,

I understand how much you want to have a better life for yourself and for your family. You know what?  I was just very much like you in the past. You might not have seen my struggles before but it’s exactly the same as what you are experiencing.  A lot of us went through with the same hardships you are having before we became what we are. You might think there’s a lot of difference between us now. But truth is we are very much the same in every way. I think that there are only some obvious differences. One is on how we look at things and how we act on them. It’s the mindset. 



I’m not saying that it’s you but I know a lot of people who are proclaiming the same life status like yours who are thinking this way, that we are buying things just because we can buy them and that we just want them. I hope they keep in mind that before we got them, we worked hard for them and thought many times before deciding to get them. It’s not for social status whatsoever. It’s because primarily, me and my family need them. But I feel sorry that there are people who do what exactly some of you think. They buy things for a show. And they send the wrong message to others. And what’s worse is that those who have less are the ones who get victimized on picking up this wrong behavior. 

See --> The Poor Man's Letter

I can’t understand those working on minimum wage or just above it who are always trying to catch on the new trends in fashion and gadgets. With what I earn now, I can afford to buy some of those things also if I wanted to. But I choose to hold on to what I have now no matter how old they are as long as they are working and serving me their purpose. Like my 5 year old mobile phone. I rather save the money that I have now for future needs or other necessities that might come along the way. 



And no, we are not snob. You may approach us anytime. We also do the first move at times when we have the chance. You might think that we’re picky with the people whom we talk to. The fact is I love talking to people. I learn a lot from others’ experiences so I love hearing it from them. From you. But maybe, that connotation of us being a snob is what I can explain as saving what’s important for what’s important. Our time and energy are limited. So they are better well spent on people and things that really matter. Like my family, my friends, people in need and most of all, to the One who provided us with all of these. Thanking God and acknowledging that all these things that are happening are His will alone. I am nothing without Him.

Material things are never the final goal. But material things aren’t bad at all. Don’t ever think about that way. These are also God made tools. And you can use these to achieve higher goals in life, which are to become a man of purpose for others, to be better citizens and family members and most importantly, to realize how negligible we are compared to all of God’s creation. And to His eyes, you are not poor. You are also rich and blessed.

Sincerely yours,
Misunderstood Rich Man

No comments:

Post a Comment